Friday, October 01, 2010

Tender Mercies....

This past summer has been a bit of a strange one for me. Through out all of the activities and usual summer vacations it just seemed that trials and tragedy were happening all around. End of May the kids got out of school for summer vacation and we were all excited for what lie ahead for the next couple of months, boating, swimming, visiting family, vacations, sleeping in....etc.


The second week into the summer break we found out that my nephew Noah, had been diagnosed with type 1 diabetes. It was quite a shock as nothing like this had ever been an issue in my family before. My sister and her husband, now had to make some very big changes in their family's lives.

I also had a friend in my ward who found out that her 3 year old son had a rare brain tumor. Through miracle after miracle they were able to find it, and get in with a Dr who was able to remove it(just this past week).

Another family in our ward had their father and two sons struck by lightening. One of the sons had actually died, but through CPR and I'm sure the Lord's will, was brought back to life and after several months of therapy is doing pretty well.

At the end of the summer my brother and his wife were expecting their 2nd child, a little girl. Liina and I were exactly 2 months apart. I was very excited that my baby was going to have 2 little cousins his age to keep him company. The day before Liina was due I recieved a call from my dad letting me know that the baby had passed away. Eventhough this was a very sad time for all of us, we were able to witness how thin the veil is and how much our Heavenly Father loves us. What could have been a very horrible and tragic time turned out to be a peaceful experience for my brother and his wife.


One night, while thinking about all that had gone on this summer I realized something....with each experience I could see when Heavenly Father was relied on and when he wasn't. When humility and faith were exercised and when pride and bitterness got in the way. Do we use the trials in our lives, no matter how big or small, as stepping stones to help us grow closer to our Heavenly Father, or stumbling blocks to pull us further away? Do we grumble and complain and focus on the "why me" or do we try to better ourselves through our experiences?

I was watching "Music and the Spoken Word" the other day, and between the songs, the narrator said something that has stuck with me...."The Good Shepherd is vigillant by day and by night. When the shadows get darker and the threats seem more real, He stands ready to help. when disquieting sounds and hidden dangers intensify our fears shake our peace, He offers peace....in the night His song shall be with me. That song is a song of peace amid the storms of life of comfort dispite heartache and pain. And above all it is a song of love and tender watchcare. No matter how dark the night we can feel heavens light. That doesn't mean bad things won't happen, good people will suffer, hearts will be broken, and anguish in one form or another comes to us all, but we can trust in the Lord's promises. In our quiet moments we listen to Him who's song in the night was first Peace, Comfort and Joy to the soul."

No comments: